San Francisco is a restaurateur’s paradise. Any food lover or local can find a place to grab a bite and enjoy a shared meal with a loved one. But every now and then, we need to venture beyond our go-to date night staple. So, if you’ve already tried out our list of romantic SF restaurants, try a few of our food-free date ideas!
At The Exploratorium, your $15 general admission ticket gets you access to the museum from 6 – 11 p.m. Each Thursday there’s a special, thought-provoking event and you’ll get the chance to play with hundreds of hands-on exhibits, crawl through the pitch-black Tactile Dome, and more.
The Academy of Sciences hosts live music, creatures and cocktails every Thursday night for anyone aged 21 and up. Check the theme for your date night and come prepared to explore one of the city’s best scientific museums!
2. Hop on the Midnight Mystery Ride for a bike date like none other!On the third Saturday of every month, the lead rider announces your meet-up location and everyone gathers at midnight. All you need is a bike, a sense of adventure, and perhaps a few provisions to share. Rides are about five miles on average, and no one knows the destination but your leader!
4. Play mini-golf late into the night at Urban Putt in the Mission. You can challenge your date to a game (or two) and play until midnight — or 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays! Following your game, head to the Urban Putt bar for a glass of wine, beer or a crafted cocktail.
6. While you’re in Golden Gate Park, take a boat ride on Stow Lake. Rent a row, paddle or electric boat and head to the water for a classic romantic activity. If you’re on a group date, rent the six passenger pedal boat so you can all get in on the fun!
7. See a classic film at the Castro Theater where you’ll also get to hear a pre-show organ concert!
8. Go old school with a visit to the roller disco at Church of 8 Wheels. Stop by from 1 – 2 p.m. on Saturday for a quick lesson, then impress your date that evening at their weekly 21+ Black Rock Roller Disco. It’s just $10 to enter and $5 to rent a pair of skates for this timeless date night idea!
9. Or, catch a movie at the oldest operating theater in SF — the Roxie! Here, you can see alt-classics alongside new independent films and limited release movies.
11. Spend time at One Kearny for one of the best views in downtown San Francisco. Leave your ID at the front desk, then ride the elevator to the rooftop terrace (for free!). From 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., the space is open to the public and offers a 270-degree view of the city!
16. Take a workshop together at SkyHigh Odditorium— an aerial arts school, yoga studio, art gallery, music production lab and more. You can also catch a live show or stop by to explore the space.
17. Wrap up your Oakland date by brewing your own beer at Diving Dog Brewhouse. Choose your recipe, put it all together, and pop it in the fermenter! This option has a built-in second date when you come back to bottle your brew.
23. While you’re in Berkeley, visit the world’s largest independent record store, Amoeba Music. Learn more about your date’s musical taste while you look through Amoeba’s eclectic collection of modern releases and vintage favorites. Check the calendar before you go for signings, concerts and other events!
24. Schedule your date for Saturday or Sunday and ride through Tilden Regional Park on The Steam Train. The train will take you on a tour of the park’s prettiest spots and afterward, you can explore the park’s Botanic Garden, plant nursery or ride the merry-go-round!
Share your go-to Bay Area date ideas.
If you have a favorite date destination, let us know!