For decades, Hayes Valley was a down-and-out neighborhood that lived in the shadow (literally) of a freeway onramp.
But that all changed when, in 1989, the Loma Prieta earthquake severely damaged the onramp, causing City officials to forego replacing the structure and explore other possibilities.
With the removal of the onramp, businesses flourished and residential growth took hold. It wasn’t long before Hayes Valley’s overhaul began to pay off as many favored boutiques, bars and restaurants filled and revived this once largely overlooked area.
In a Few Words
Park access, commuter friendly
Hip and trendy restaurants help to define the neighborhood and always make for great entertainment. Here are just a few things to look for:
- Popularity spotlights shine on award-winning eateries like Jardiniere and Zuni Cafe.
- Not to be missed are Absinthe, Suppenkuche, and Sauce.
- Sultry snacks or a caffeine buzz can be had at Frjtz Fries, Miette Confiserie and Blue Bottle Coffee.
- In the mood for some evening fun? Hayes Valley offers a wide array of classic bars and lounges, like Smuggler's Cove, Sugar Lounge,Crimson Lounge, Orbit Room and Hotel Biron. Or, mosey over to Lower Haight and explore the funkiness of Uva Enoteca, Rosamunde, Noc Noc and The Mad Dog in the Fog.
- And don’t forget the shopping. Hayes Valley is known for its stellar boutiques, like Azalea, Backspace, Manifesto, Dish, and Gimme Shoes to satisfy every stylish need.
- An epicenter for San Francisco DJ culture, Hayes Valley’s Groove Merchant and Upper Playground never disappoint.
Hayes Valley is within walking distance of San Francisco’s world-class opera, ballet, and symphony, as well as the Asian Art Museum, main library and city hall. Bonus: the neighborhood stretches into the Lower Haight district, offering residents even more activities and attractions to choose from.
Why Hayes Valley?
With its close proximity to Golden Gate Park, easy public transportation, and excellent shopping, dining and entertainment options, Hayes Valley is one neighborhood that can truly claim to have something for everyone.