The city’s first known residents was a tribe of Ohlone Native Americans who called this area home until the early 19th century. In 1820, Don Luis Peralta was granted a large portion of East Bay land from the King of Spain. Peralta would later divide this land among his sons who would, in turn, further divide it and sell it as farms and homesteads in what is now called Albany.
Like many communities throughout the East Bay, Albany would see a surge of growth after the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco left many shaken and determined to lay down roots in more solid ground.
The city was incorporated in 1908 and officially named Albany in honor of its first mayor, Frank Roberts’, hometown.
During the second world war, the Codornices Village housing project was established on land in Albany leased from the University of California in order to accommodate the thousands of workers at the Richmond shipyards. Adjacent to the project was the Veterans Village, which provided military housing for the servicemen stationed at the Navy training base. After the war, both would operate as a federal housing project until 1956, when the villages reverted to University ownership and were renamed Albany Village to provide family student housing for Cal Berkeley students.
Located next to the University of California, Berkeley, the City of Albany offers a warm and welcoming environment for families and students alike and a variety of things to do and see, every day:
Weekday commute time to and from San Francisco is 28 minutes — just three minutes more than the national average.
Located directly east of the Golden Gate Bridge, Albany is a safe, community-oriented city that offers a variety of services and programs for young people, families, and the elderly. Those who appreciate the city’s close proximity to San Francisco, its small-town ambiance, and outstanding schools love to call Albany home.