Relaxed community feel with excellent access to all of San Francisco
Why do Bernalites LOVE their hood so much?
With its convenient location on the south side of San Francisco, this bohemian, popular neighborhood has so much to offer, such as:
Chill, friendly environment
Visitors and locals alike love Bernal Height’s appeal with its hilly streets, historic Victorian and Edwardian homes, and excellent outdoor spaces. Bernal’s charm is in its friendly and relaxed feel. Being on the south side of the city, Bernalites also tend to get a bit more sun, just adding to the pleasant environment.
Great Shopping and Activities
Bernal Heights is brimming with options for residents and visitors, with some awesome restaurants, cool and unique shops and much to see and do. Cortland, our main drag, is well adorned with shops to visit, as is its bordering Mission Street.
Bernal Heights local feels like its own village while still being easily accessible from downtown. With several MUNI lines running through and two BART stations just a neighborhood away, public transit options are good. Freeway access is also great for those who work on the Peninsula and several shuttle stops, commuting to Silicon Valley is simple.
Rated the hottest neighborhood in SF for good reason, Bernal is one of the sunnier neighborhoods located in San Francisco southern side with some vibrant spacious parks, excellent restaurants and shops, and great access to freeways and transit. No wonder that so many folks commute to the Peninsula or downtown have chosen to reside in this great neighborhood!
Outdoor enthusiasts, four-legged friends needing a walk and kids ready to play will delight, with several great parks and playgrounds to choose from. Enjoy a walk and a peekaboo view of GGB around Bernal Hill, a protected and especially scenic outdoor space, which is enjoyed by runners, walkers and canine friends. Known and loved by locals, but typically little known by visitors.
Bernal north slope has awesome SF skyscape views and carried the title the hottest neighborhood in the nation in 2016. With easy access to all the Mission has to offer, with a slightly more suburban feel and its excellent transit options, it makes sense that this area of Bernal is in such high demand. Residents enjoy relaxing on the grass at Precita Park while children play at the playground. Just across the street Precita Park café offers lattes, Mitchell’s ice cream, lunch and even dinner. Hillside Supper Club is another local favorite. And for a drink or those wanting to enjoy some music, El Rio and Vics are a couple great local pubs.
On the south side of Bernal Hill, Bernal Height’s main drag- Cortland Ave has a host of awesome options for folks- whether shopping, dining or other. Spoiled with several excellent options for restaurants, diners can enjoy Piqueos, Vega, Bernal Star, Moki’s, Third Cousin, Red Hill Station and more. Locals love the convenience of our grocery- The Good Life. Shoppers can peruse some fab shops such as Heartfelt (great for gifts), Succulence, Artisal, Bernalese, 10 Small Things, Inclusions gallery, etc. Café goers are also spoilt with options such as Pinhole, Progressive Grounds, Martha’s… Families and folks enjoy the several recreational areas on the north side of Bernal, including Holly Park, Bernal Library & Playground, Bernal Rec Center and St. Mary’s Park and Rec Center. Thirsty for a drink or cocktail- several options there as well such as Holy Water, Vino Rosso, Barebottle Brewery, Old Devil Moon, Wild West, and (dive bar).
- Sunday Alemany Farmer's Market offers certified organic produce is a popular destination on the weekends
- A wide array of restaurants, including Piqueos, Vega, Bernal Star, Moki’s, Third Cousin, Red Hill Station, Ichi’s Sushi, Emmy’s, Blue Plate, Front Porch, Outer Orbit, Pizza Hacker, Hillside Supper Club and more
- Excellent shopping options from groceries to gifts include The Good Life, Heartfelt, Chloe's Closet, Succulence, Epicurean Trader, Bernalese, Twelve Small Things, Inclusions Gallery, Secessions to name a few
- Café goers have lots of great options such as Pinhole, Progressive Grounds, Martha’s, Café Jorge, Black Jet Bakery, Little Bee, Precita Park Café
- Thirsty for a drink or cocktail? Lots of options there as well such as Holy Water, Vino Rosso, Barebottle Brewery, Old Devil Moon, Wild Side West, St. Mary’s Pub, Lucky Horseshoe, El Rio, Rock Bar, Royal Cuckoo, Knockout, and Virgil’s Sea Room
- Families and folks enjoy the several recreational areas including Holly Park, Bernal Library, Bernal Rec Center & Playground, St. Mary’s Park, Bernal Hill, Precita Park as well as the Esmeralda Slides